This program provides scholarships to attend a broad range of three- to four-week summer courses at German universities which focus mainly on German language and literary, cultural, political and economic aspects of modern and contemporary Germany. Extensive extracurricular programs complement and reinforce the core material. A number of the University Summer Course Grants are made possible by the DAAD Alumni Association of the US, including one that is specially earmarked for an applicant in the fine arts.
Who can apply?
- Applications are open to students in Bachelor's, Master's and PhD degree programs in any subject area; Bachelor students must have completed at least two academic years at the start of the scholarship period.
- Students in the last year of a Bachelor program are eligible to apply if they intend to start a Master's degree program shortly after completing their BA. Please attach a letter of confirmation from the university as proof.
What requirements must be met?
- Unless stated otherwise, foreign nationals may be eligible if they have been full-time students/scholars in a degree program at an accredited Canadian or US university for more than one year at the time of application.
- The grant holder must be at least 18 years old when he/she starts the funded stay.
- Applicants must be registered at a university in their home country or in their country of permanent residence (except Germany) at the time their funded stay begins.
- An applicant may only be considered once in any three consecutive years for a University Summer Course Grant.
Applicants must be able to follow lectures and collaborate in teams. The required German language skills should be equivalent at least to level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
What can be funded?
- The program funds attendance of language and area studies courses as well as special language / terminology courses that are offered by state or state-recognized German universities and by affiliated language schools.
- You can find out about course providers and programs on the DAAD website here.
Duration of the funding
- The courses run for at least 18 teaching days (max. 5 days/week, excluding days of arrival and departure) with a minimum of 25 hours of teaching a week.
- The grants are non-renewable.
- The courses are offered in the summer months (usually from June) during the recess period at German universities.
- One-off scholarship payment of EUR 850; Payment of a country-specific travel allowance (exception: Western Europe), see here for more information.
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover.
- A selection committee reviews applications
- The most important selection criteria are:
- previous academic achievements
- convincing arguments for choice of study program and subject
- knowledge of German
The courses are taught in German.
Course fees and accommodation expenses are usually deducted directly from scholarship payments by the language course provider so that the grant holder is paid only the remaining amount to which he/she may still be entitled in Germany.
To download the language evaluation form, please see the box to the right.
- The application is submitted online through the DAAD Portal.
- In addition, you are required to mail 2 copies of the “Application Summary” (PDF File), which is generated in the DAAD Portal after the online application procedure has been completed, as well as one recent reference from a university teacher in a sealed envelope.
- The portal will close automatically at 11 PM Central European Time (5 PM EST/4PM CST/3PM MTN/2PM PST) on the deadline date. Applicants are advised to start the application process at least one week before the closing date.
- Please ensure we receive the paper application no later than DECEMBER 11, 2017 (see Application Dates below). Your application is only complete when we have received both your electronic and paper application.
- The video below explains how to navigate the online portal.
- If you seek technical support with the online portal, please e-mail portal(at)daad.de.
- Online applications must be completed by the end of the application period and hard copies must be received by DAAD New York no later than December 11, 2017 (see below for application dates).
- Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
- Application materials will not be returned.
- No reasons for a decision will be given.
- Application Period
- September 14th, 2018 to December 1st, 2018
Download Application Documents
Language Evaluation Form: Download: Language Evaluation Form (pdf, 37.81 KB)