- If you are NOT an annual grant alumnus/a please visit Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists.
- If you do not receive a travel subsidy from your home institution and would like to apply for a subsidy from DAAD, please hand in a formal letter from your home institution confirming that they do not fund your travel to Germany.
Who can apply?
This program is for former holders of DAAD research grants or study scholarships who were funded for a period of over six months.
- The research or working project must be coordinated with a cooperation partner in Germany.
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or Canada. German nationals must have been affiliated with a US or Canadian institution in full-time employment for at least ten consecutive years.
- Applicants should possess adequate knowledge of the German language to carry out the proposed research or work project.
- Applicants may not hold a DAAD grant and a grant from another German or German-American organization concurrently for the same project.
- Applicants must have returned to their home country at least three years previously.
- A change of dates for recipients of the Re-Invitation Grant is a rare exception granted only in special circumstances.
What can be funded?
- Research and work projects at state or state-recognized institutions of higher education or non-university research institutes in Germany.
- Working stays at an institution in business, administration, culture or media for former scholarship holders who work outside the science sector.
- A research or working visit can also take place at several host institutions.
- Funding may only be claimed once within three years.
- Grants are awarded for research and working projects and cannot be used for travel only. Airfare to Germany will not be covered. Lecture tours, attendance at conferences or conventions, editorial meetings or extended guest professorships are not funded.
Duration of the funding
- One to three months; the length of the grant is decided by a selection committee and depends on the project in question and the applicant’s work schedule.
- The grant is non-renewable.
Monthly payments dependent on academic level.
If the applicant’s research or work project requires travel within Germany to at least three different locations, DAAD may provide a travel subsidy.
All DAAD Grantees receive mandatory health insurance through DAAD. The monthly contribution to the insurance is deducted from the stipend and cannot be waived.
For more information about the Re-invitation Grant, click here.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD Portal .
A complete application is comprised of the following mandatory documents:
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal:
- Online application form “Re-invitation Programme for Former Scholarship Holders, 2016” (no. 57214228) – to be downloaded from the portal after registering
- Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages)
- List of academic publications (max. 3 pages)
- Comprehensive statement about research project (max. 5 pages)
- Time schedule and itinerary (host institutes / academic hosts) of the planned research stay. Please also specify any travel plans within Germany in the framework of your research.
- Letter from host which refers to the applicant’s proposal and guarantees that a workplace will be provided. The invitation letter should be a PDF document that can be uploaded to the portal by the applicant.
Please note: You do not have to submit a paper copy of the application to our office.
After submitting your application:
- As soon as you have submitted your application online, you will automatically receive confirmation that your application has been successfully submitted and an e-mail informing you that a message has been sent to you via the portal’s messaging system. The message confirms that your application has been received.
- Please do not call or email to inquire whether your online application materials have been received. Within 6-8 weeks after the application deadline, you will receive an email to confirm the receipt of your complete application. You may submit your application in advance of the deadline date, but it will not be processed until after the deadline.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the German Federal Data Protection Act insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Selection: An independent selection committee reviews applications. The most important selection criteria are:
- Academic achievements and, if applicable, publications which must be documented in the curriculum vitae and a list of publications.
- A convincing and well-planned research or work project.
In the case of working stays outside the science sector, particular attention is paid to the following questions:
- Will the stay in Germany have a sustainable effect on your professional activity?
- Can you expect it to have multiplier effects, for example, in the form of planned publications?
- Will your stay in Germany promote existing cooperations?
- We expect results for the October deadline at the end of January of the following year. Please note that no reasons for decisions will be given.
Re-invitation Programme for Former Scholarship Holders, 2023
- Applications may be submitted online until 11:59pm CET (Central European Time) on the deadline date. Applicants are advised to start the online application at least one week before the closing date.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- Applicants will be informed about results at the end of January (for the October deadline).
In 2023, the application deadline is January 13 for stays between July 1, 2023 and January 2024.
If you have questions about the program, please contact Mr. Ethan Grandel at grandel [at] daad [dot] de.
For technical problems with your online application, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
How to apply via the DAAD Portal
Please click here to access the DAAD Portal.
- Register in the DAAD Portal (Click here for notes on how to register.)
- Apply online in the DAAD Portal (Click here for notes on how to apply or check out the video above.)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- Scan paper documents and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices to the portal in PDF format.
- Upload your “Application Summary”, which has been generated in the DAAD Portal.
Please keep a copy of the completed application for your records.