Applications may be submitted at any time.
- Applicants must have completed their first doctorate within the past four years. If you completed your first doctorate more than four but less than 12 years ago, you may apply to the Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers on the humboldt-foundation.de website.
- Fellowships are awarded based on the quality and feasibility of the proposed research project as well as on the international publications of the applicant.
- Applicants design their own research projects and select their German hosts.
- Applicants and proposed hosts must agree upon the research project and the time frame prior to the submission of the application.
- Scholars in the humanities should have sufficient German proficiency to conduct the proposed research. Scholars in the sciences must have sufficient proficiency in English.
- The Humboldt Research Fellowship for Postdoctoral Researchers provides for a stay of six to 24 months in Germany for research.
- The fellowship includes a monthly stipend. Special allowances are available for accompanying family members, travel expenses and German language instruction.