Who can apply?
Former holders of fellowships from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation are requested to contact first the Humboldt Foundation.
What can be funded?
Funding may only be claimed once within three years.
Lecture tours or visits to congresses are not funded.
Duration of the funding
- Funding is provided for one to three months. Please indicate in your application how long you wish to receive funding. The funding period will then be determined during the selection process by a selection committee. The committee takes into account your work plan.
- The grant is non-renewable.
- Please note in your time planning that the funded stays should be completed by January 2025 at the latest.
- Monthly payments of
2,000 euros for assistant teachers, assistant professors and lecturers,
2,150 euros for professors
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- In the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs which result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers: Further information
- Green Mobility Top Up (Support for climate-friendly travel) or partial reimbursement of carbon offset payments for air travel
The most important selection criteria are:
- academic achievements and recent publications which must be documented in the curriculum vitae and a list of publications
- a convincing and well-planned research project
For more information on the selection procedure, go to Important Scholarship Information / Section E.
What requirements must be met?
- You must work at a university or institute of higher education in your home country.
- The research project must be coordinated with an academic host institute in Germany. You must be provided with a workplace.
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or Canada. German nationals must have been affiliated with a United States or Canadian institution in full-time employment for at least ten consecutive years.
- Applicants must possess adequate knowledge of the German language to carry out the proposed research project. In your proposal, please refer to the language skills needed for your research.
October 16th, 2023
Selection date spring 2024
Funding period between April 1st and September 30th, 2024
May 15th, 2024
Selection date summer 2024
Funding period between October 1st, 2024 and January 31st, 2025
Please click the following link for important country-specific application information: https://www.daad.org/en/find-funding/country-specific-information-for-us-applicants/
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of academic publications (max. 3 pages)
- Comprehensive statement about research project (max. 10 pages). Please also read our important information for scholarship applicants / section B, point 2.
- Time schedule and itinerary (host institutes / academic hosts) of the planned research stay (to be uploaded under ‘time schedule’ in the DAAD portal)
- Confirmation from the academic host in Germany; the confirmation must refer to your project and guarantee that the host institute in Germany will provide you with a workplace.
Please note that the access to the application portal only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal on time.
- (If documents are to be submitted by post, please send them as soon as possible.)
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. (CET or CEST) on the last application day.
- Incomplete applications cannot be considered. You are responsible for ensuring that your applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Your personal data is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and with the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Information and advisory centres
c/o Munk School of Global Affairs
University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3K7
Tel.: +1 (416)/946-8116
DAAD Informationpoint San Francisco
c/o Goethe Institute
101 Montgomery, suite 1900
San Francisco, CA, 94104 USA
United States of America
Tel.: +1 (415)/986-2021
Regional Office New York
German Academic Exchange Service
871 United Nations Plaza
10017 New York, N.Y.
United States of America
Tel.: +1 (212) /758-3223
Fax.: +1 (212)/755-5780
More detailed information
- DAAD website 'Important information for DAAD scholarship applicants'
- DAAD website section 'Doing a PhD and Research in Germany'
- Website 'Research in Germany'
- Website 'GERiT – German Research Institutions'
General information on the application via DAAD portal
Click on 'Application portal' at the bottom of the page to go to the DAAD portal. There you will be provided with an online application form to enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm (CET or CEST).
Please consider the availability of the hotline as well as possible processing times of your request when you are planning your application.